June 15, 2012 -
Digital Freedom International is one more time very proud to announce the SFD 2011 best event competition results. Software Freedom Day (SFD) is a worldwide celebration of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) with the goal of educating the public about the existence and the benefits of using FOSS in education, in government, at home and in business.
The SFD Best Event Competition is an international recognition of the efforts made by individual organizing teams in regards to spreading the importance of Software Freedom and reaching out to the relevant groups of people in their area. Each year three teams are chosen and the awards given to those teams are meant to help them further in their tasks for the years to come.
This year again, two leading organizations from the Free and Open Source Software movements have joined us to reward those exceptional achievers: the Free Software Foundation, the non-profit organization behind the Free Software movement, and Lemote, a private company making PCs running only Free Software from the BIOS to the drivers and the operating system as well. Among the 50 submissions we have received the three teams that came out as outstanding organizers and promoters of Software Freedom in 2011 will be known by some of you for having organized SFD in the past (and some even won that same competition in the past). We would like to name in no specific order:
- SFD team 8layertech, Philippines
- SFD team CP-Union, Philippines
- SFD team IEEE ENIS Student Branch, Tunisia
As a general comment we were very pleased to see a higher quality of most events participating in the competition and would also like to mention some entries which didn’t make it in the top 3 but definitely deserve to be mentioned:
- Palestine Software Freedom Day
- Bluepoint Linux User Elite
- Algeria Software Freedom Day
Congratulations to all!
This is the second time that 8layer won the top prize (2009, 2011) with one honorable mention (2010). This award also solidifies the Philippines as one of the countries that has a very active FOSS Community.
We would like to thanks everyone who gave their time and effort in making the SFD 2011 a resounding success: The organizers who conceptualized a new approach to deliver content to more participants, the sponsors and partners who believed in the cause, the speakers who spent time and effort to make awesome presentations and to the participants who gave their time to learn, interact and live the virtues and philosophies of FOSS.
We would also like to congratulate the teams of CPU headed by Rick Bahague and Bluepoint Linux User Elite for also putting the Philippines on the map of FOSS!
Mabuhay! Mabuhay FOSS!
List of Schools that attended
- University of Cagayan Valley (Tuguegarao, Cagayan)
- Isabela State University (Cabagan, Isabela)
- Kalinga State College (Kalinga Province)
- STI College Tuguegarao
- Our Lady of Pillars (Cauayan City, Isabela)
- University of St. Louis (Tuguegarao, Cagayan)
- Isabela State University (Cauayan City, Isabela)
- Linao National High School (Tuguegarao, Cagayan)
- Cagayan National High School (Tuguegarao, Cagayan)
- University of Perpetual Help System (Cauayan City, Isabela)
- Lyceum of Aparri (Aparri, Cagayan)
- Isabela State University (Gonzaga, Cagayan Campus)
- Cagayan State University (Tuguegarao, Cagayan)
- Tuguegarao Science High School
- Tuguegarao West Central High School
- Tuguegarao North Central High School
List of Partners and Sponsors
- Intel Philippines
- Epson Philippines
- PLDT, Alpha Business Enterprise Group
- Cre8tivetech Marketing Technologies, Inc.
- ATCOM, China
- Headstart Business Solutions, Inc.
- Department of Trade and Industry
- SMART Communications Philippines
- Tuguegarao City Government
- Department of Trade and Industry Region 2
- Department of Interior and Local Government
- Review Center for Allied Professions (RCAP)
- IBM Philippines
- Acer Philippines
- 8layer Technologies, Inc.
- Imperium Technologies
- POSNet (Philippine Open Source Network)
- Enigma Technologies
- GO Autodial
- Pinoy Exchange
- Manila Bulletin
- IOSN-International Open Source Network
- West Capitol School of Technologies
- University of the Philippines, Los Banos
- and St. Paul University Philippines